International Health Data
Description: A lot of health questions being asked today are not confined to just the state of Texas or the United States of America. Diseases cross borders just as people do. This workshop will cover data sources related to International Health Data. Data sources will include those that are subscribed to by the Baylor Libraries as well as those sources which are available on the internet. Search strategies for locating datasets will also be covered.
Goal: The goal of this workshop is to acquaint participants with sources of International health data subscribed to by the library and to teach participants strategies for locating state and local data sources online. The differences in federal, regional and international data will be discussed.
Outcomes: After attending this workshop, participants will:
- Be aware/familiar with databases from the library which are sources for health data
- Be able to develop appropriate strategies for searching library-subscribed health data
- Be able to develop strategies for searching the internet for state and local health data
1. We will discuss the World Health Organization and be able to navigate to and download from the World Health Organization’s Global Health Observational Data site. We will browse the repository and examine reports created from that data.
2. We will look at Global Health Data Exchange from data.gov and will search for both concepts and specific country data. We will discuss both the positives and reasons why there may or may not be health data available for a specific country.
3. We will be looking at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development to examine the difference between health data provided by governments and health data provided by non-governmental organizations. We will discuss the reasons why an organization may or may not provide accurate health data.
4. We will look at the datasets acquired by Baylor university and talk about how the health data for mission countries may or may not be available.
Related LibGuide: Dancing with Health Data by Vedana Vaidhyanathan
- Wednesday, March 6, 2019
- 3:30pm - 4:30pm
- Jones 105