ACRL Research Data Management Workshop
Research data management has emerged as a need among academic researchers and liaisons are building skills in response. This one-day workshop will assist liaisons to identify their existing skills and mindsets that transfer to research data management services and then create a learning plan for the RDM specific knowledge needed to serve their subject disciplines. Tools, hints, and tricks will be shared that facilitate partnerships on campus with disciplinary faculty and with other RDM service providers.
Workshop participants will be able to. . .
- Identify data within the research process and lifecycle in order to articulate the role of the libraries in the management of data to researchers.
- Learn how to develop expertise in the nuances of disciplinary requirements for data management in order to educate their faculty and students about data best practices for their discipline.
- Articulate specific existing skills that they already possess as librarians which transfer to data services in order to begin building a toolkit of research data management skills.
- Identify campus partners in research data management in order to create an environment of research data management support for their faculty.
- Articulate the parts of a data management plan in order to describe its role as a living document within a research project.
- Apply their relevant prior knowledge of their disciplines in order to create a research data management interview plan in order to facilitate faculty engagement.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is intended for liaisons who are seeking to engage with research data management for the first time, or who have a very basic knowledge of research data management. This workshop is an introductory level experience. Attendees are not expected to have previous experience with research data management. The primary audience is subject liaison librarians, secondary audience include senior library administrators, middle management and department heads, and technical services librarians and staff. Other campus partners such as Office of Research, Sponsored Programs, Technology Transfer, IRB, or campus IT may be interested but would be a tertiary audience.
|8:00-8:30||Registration and Breakfast (included)|
|9:00-9:45 a.m.||An Overview of Research Data Management|
|10:00 -11:15 a.m.||Applying Liaison Skills to RDM|
|11:15 a.m. -12:30 p.m.||Learning to Serve Your Discipline’s Data Needs|
|12:30-1:30 p.m.||Lunch (included)|
|1:30-3:00 p.m.||Planning for Data Management|
|3:15-4:30 p.m.||Developing Campus Partners and Collaborations|
|4:30 – 5:00 p.m.||Tying It All Together|
- Friday, August 9, 2019
- 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Moody 104 (Active Learning Lab)